7 nutrition practices to adopt from Gisele Bündchen and Tom Brady's A-list diet

By Ally Dean

7 nutrition practices to adopt from Gisele Bündchen and Tom Brady's A-list diet

She's the highest paid supermodel in the world and he's the quarterback of the New England Patriots. Power couple Gisele Bündchen and Tom Brady, who've been married for seven years are are reportedly worth an estimated US$480 million combined, set the standard when it comes to #lifegoals. So when their personal chef, Allen Campbell, shared details about their highly curated menu, we took serious notice.

According to Allen's interview with boston.com, the supremely handsome duo feast on a carefully selected mix of fresh, organic ingredients: 80 per cent vegetables and whole grains (think quinoa and brown rice), 20 per cent lean meats and fish such as wild salmon. Unsurprisingly, there's also a hefty list of diet limitations.

Tom Brady and Gisele Bündchen adhere to a strict, vegetable-centric diet. Photo: © Instagram/@gisele

So what can the rest of us learn? "From a strictly nutrition-based standpoint, Tom and Gisele do practise a very healthy way of living," says celebrity nutritionist Oz Garcia, who has worked with Gwyneth Paltrow and Heidi Klum. "But unless you just won the Powerball an dave extraordinary discipline, no one can realistically copy this diet." Still, some of their nutrition habits are easy to adopt and worth trying at home.

"I call vegetables my detox warriors," London-based nutritionist Angelique Pangs tells Hello! "They are filled with phytonutrients, antioxidants and fibre and work to detoxify and fuel the body." She recommends consuming a minimum of five portions a day. But are organic foods, like those favoured by Gisele and Tom, that much better? "There's a cumulative effect," says Oz. "Will a non-organic apple kill you? an a chocolate bar break your body's systems? Of course not!" But there's a cumulative effect, and it's important to rid your produce of as many chemicals as possible. Oz recommends using a natural-based fruit and vegetable cleaner, or a white vinegar and water solution (which kills 98 per cent of harmful bacteria.)

In an effort to avoid inflammation, Tom avoids nightshade vegetables like eggplant, tomatoes, potatoes and peppers. But Angelique says not to worry about a tomato derailing your health goals. "Unless you're a professional athlete, have an allergy or a history of arthritis, eating nightshades won't make a bit of difference." The real enemies? Processed foods, sugar and refined carbohydrates.

We all know that sugar-filled cakes, candies and refined sugar are not part of a healthy eating plan, but Angelique says the quest to avoid sugar is more difficult than avoiding the patisseries. Be sure to read packaging and avoid products high in fructose and dextrose, which are other forms of sugar. Also, agave is often considered a healthy alternative but it is actually highly refined and spikes blood sugar levels.

For Tom and Gisele, caffeine is on the restricted list - but if your morning espresso is a source of joy, don't pack up your Nespresso just yet. "A cup of quality coffee once a day isn't detrimental," says Angelique. Even so, when it come stop getting caffeine, try green tea, which may boost your resting metabolism and is a great source of antioxidants.

Almost ready!! ✨✨✨ Quase pronta!

A photo posted by Gisele Bündchen (@gisele) on

Dairy, fungus and even fruits are on Tom and Gisele's watch list, but, as long as you don't have an allergy, nutritionists agree these items can be added into your diet once or twice a week. "Forget eating the same breakfast or lunch in your diet plan," says Oz. "Varying your intake and the amount and type of food you eat day-to-day helps you slim out and build lean muscle."

If you're not a genetically blessed superhuman with an iron will, don't give up on your fitness goals. "I tell clients to eat healthily 80 per cent of the time but let yourself eat pizza or whatever you're craving the other 20 per cent of the time," says Oz. "If you give people permission to indulge, they are less likely to abuse it.

Allen only uses organic coconut oil when prepping and cooking Tom and Gisele's meals, but don't toss your olive oil just yet. Coconut oil is trendy so everyone wants to use it , but it doesn't give you the same heart health benefits as olive oil," says Oz. Translation? Stock both in your pantry.

Related news