Recipe by: Ricardo Larrivée
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 cups Brussels sprouts, halved
- salt and pepper
- ¾ cup chicken broth (or apple juice)
- 1 tbsp whole-grain mustard
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, brown the bacon in the oil. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon. Set aside on a plate lined with paper towel. Keep the rendered bacon fat in the skillet.
- Brown the Brussels sprouts in the hot fat. Season with salt and pepper. Deglaze the skillet with the broth. Whisk in the mustard and bring to a boil. Simmer over medium heat, stirring often, for about 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and the broth has evaporated. Adjust the seasoning.
- Pour into a serving dish and sprinkle with the bacon. Optional: Sprinkle with toasted chopped pecans or almonds.
Ricardo Larrivée calls his new English-language magazine “a turning point” for good reason. His wife, Brigitte, who runs his Montreal-based food empire Ricardo Media, recently recovered from breast cancer. “The ordeal suddenly gave our work a whole new purpose: to use food to bond people together through good and bad times,” the chef explains. Now they’re doing so coast to coast – “something we’ve aspired to for many years.” – Chris Daniels