Less than 24 hours after Canada rang in her 147th birthday, Eugenie Bouchard gave her country yet another historic reason to celebrate.
The 20-year-old tennis phenomenon became the first Canadian to reach the semifinals at Wimbledon on July 2, defeating Germany’s Angelique Kerber in straight sets. Prime Minister Stephen Harper took to Twitter to offer his congratulations to the young tennis prodigy, writing:
— Stephen Harper (@pmharper) July 2, 2014
Others are taking note of the sporty blond, too. Aside from celebrity fans like Justin Bieber and Jim Parsons, who was spotted cheering her on in her box over the weekend, big-name sponsors are clamouring to sign deals with the social media-savvy athlete, who already has contracts with Nike and Coke Canada.
As the Montreal native continues to take the tennis world by storm, Hello! set out to learn more about Canada’s newest golden girl.
CLICK ON THE IMAGE FOR THE GALLERY.
1. She comes from the posh Westmount neighbourhood of Montreal, Quebec and attended The Study, a private all-girls school, until she moved to Florida at age 12 to pursue her tennis career.
2. Eugenie has a fraternal twin sister named Beatrice, who is six minutes older. The siblings are named after Prince Andrew's daughters. (She also has two younger siblings, Charlotte and William, similarly named after prominent royals – Charlotte Casiraghi and, of course, Prince William.)
3. Eugenie and her fellow player and best friend, Laura Robson, produced a viral video featuring tennis players (including Maria Sharapova) performing dance moves from “Gangnam Style.” It’s garnered more than 500,000 views on YouTube!
4. She’s named Roger Federer as her favourite tennis players, and the two have bonded over the fact that Roger is the proud father of two pairs of twins.
5. Her favourite restaurant in Montreal is Beautys, a classic brunch spot. “I absolutely love the food and try go every time I’m in town!” she says.
6. She’s a Justin Bieber fan. When asked by Aussie Open TV about her “dream date,” Eugenie was quick to name the Candian pop star as her celebrity crush.
7. She’s taken an accidental selfie with the Pope!
— Eugenie Bouchard (@geniebouchard) May 14, 2014
8. Eugenie’s love life has been the subject of curiosity ever since her rise to fame in recent years. She’s been romantically linked to 20-year-old Montreal Canadiens player Alex Galchenyuk, though neither of them has confirmed their relationship.
9. She has said that if her tennis career didn’t take off, she’d be an air traffic controller.
10. She was featured in Flare magazine earlier this year, where the leggy, five-foot-ten star revealed her style secrets on and off the court. “Fashion is important,” she said. “The court is a stage to express personal style.”