Hoops, and glass slippers
Adam Sandler has been busy kicking about Toronto.
When he's not taking in the ballet on University Ave. – Cinderella! oh, yes! – Hollywood's most lovable schlub been running around with a basketball seemingly surgically attached to his arm. The most ubiqutious star-spotting of late, thanks to innumerable sightings, has been Adam, on the street – any street! - with said ball. And it's not just a prop: the actor is a a bona fide basketball nut, often writing his hoop dreams into his movies, or at the very least referencing the game. He even had to undergo basketball-related shoulder surgery last year! And yes, he will dribble just about anywhere (case in point: a makeshift court on Yorkville's Scollard St.)…
Adam – in town to shoot the film Pixels – did put his his ball down long enough to take in a Saturday-night spectacle at the Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts. Dressed in some form of parachute pants and with his lovely wife Jacqueline and two daughters, Sadie and Sunny, in tow, our romcom hero watched Cinderella floating down from the sky in a giant pumpkin. Sadly the Sandler clan did not linger long enough to see the clock hit midnight. The family slipped out during an intermission. Places to go, hoops to shoot.
Ok, and also:
Star (Wars) power in Montreal: Hollywood titan George Lucas taking in some Formula 1 action at the Grand Prix. Adding some Spice to the force was Geri Halliwell, hand-in-hand with her latest beau, F1 chief Christian Horner. On the racing circuit, these days, is the singer, whose previous boyfriends have included Russell Brand and Robbie Williams, and who seemed to make it official with her new guy just a few weeks ago when they together attended the high-society wedding of socialite Poppy Delevingne.
Unsurprisingly, there was a veritable conga line of parties during this time of year, in Montreal, with the most prized ticket being, perhaps, the annual Ferrari do that happens at the classic Hotel St. James. The scene was Unusually Thicke, with Alan and Tanya in the house, along with former Miss Puerto Rico, and current cast member of The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, Joyce Giraud. The latter happily hopped on top of one of the gleaming cars for a photo call as various minglers – including the Mayor of Montreal, Dennis Coderre, and hot comedian Sugar Sammy – looked on. To confirm: the stilettos at the party were towering, and the champagne unrelenting.
* A Rock and Roll Hall of Famer in the house: Rush's Geddy Lee was spotted feasting, over the weekend, at one of his regular spots in Toronto, The Harbord Room.
* Charming the fashionistas in the room: New York designer-darling Prabal Gurang, when he appeared at the annual Butterfly Ball, held here recently at the Toronto Four Seasons. The courtier – who's dressed everyone from Jennifer Lawrence to Sarah Jessica Parker to Michelle Obama – was a guest of the Hudson's Bay Company.
* Gossip Olympian (and The Social co-host) Lainey talking up her new book, Listen to the Squawking Chicken, at a chopsticks-friendly book club held the other week at haute new dim sum spot, Luckee, on Wellington Street in Toronto.
* She gets 'round: Canadian cutie Nina Dobrev (The Vampire Diaries) made the scene the other night at London's Chiltern Firehouse, the absolute celeb must-spot across-the-pond. (The latest creation via Andre Balasz – he of Chateau Marmont fame – is the British ground zero these days for all miscellanea of models, actors, rockers, and socialites).
* That was Peter Dinklage being stopped this week by a cop, in Toronto – for a selfie! The Game of Thrones sensation – in town, like Adam, for Pixels – was strolling around Yorkville, where he's been spotted around a lot, including at Tiffany's (how fancy!) on posh Bloor Street.